December 3, 2003
The Marine Park issue obviously concerns us. There were concerns about the confusion - some of it based on lack of information from NPWS and others seemingly deliberately spread to obscure the issues. We resolved to write a letter to NPWS and possibly put in the Echo asking for clearer information. Points for the letter included:
- We support scientific evaluation of what level of fishing is appropriate for the area.
- We think its a good idea, and believe that most of the area agree, to remove some uses from the area, specifically: Spear Fishing; Jet Skiing; Trap Fishing; Trawling of breeding grounds; Sand dredging; Vehicles on the beach and Commercial netting off the beach.
- We are supportive of other uses specifically: Recreational fishing on the beach provided its at a sustainable level.
- We think it important to focus the debate on the few controversial issues such as dogs on the beach.
- We are concerned that the estuaries - Belongil and Brunswich River - are not adequately covered.
Posted at December 3, 2003 12:00 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)